ASTM A106 Seamless Carbon Steel Pipe
Totten Tubes stocks A106 seamless pipe, also called A106 seamless pressure pipe, in various sizes and profiles. This pipe is commonly specified for applications where piping is used to transport fluids and gasses at high temperatures and/or pressures. A106 seamless pressure pipe a key component in power plants, oil and gas refineries, petrochemical processing plants, boilers, and more.
Aspects of the ASTM A106 specification that are most relevant for our purposes are as follows:
|Grade A||Grade B||Grade C|
BThese five elements combined shall not exceed 1%
Permissible Variations in Dimensions & Weight
- Weight: The weight of any length of A106 seamless pressure pipe shall not vary more than 10% over and 3.5% under what is specified.
- Thickness: Minimum wall thickness at any point shall not be more than 12.5% under specified nominal wall thickness.
- Diameter: Variations in outside diameter shall not exceed those specified below.
Variaions in Outside Diameter
|NPS Designator||Permissible Variations in Outside Diameter|
|1/8 to 1 1/2, incl||1/64 (0.015)||0.40||1/64 (0.015)||0.40|
|Over 1 1/2 to 4, incl||1/32 (0.031)||0.79||1/32 (0.031)||0.79|
|Over 4 to 8, incl||1/16 (0.062)||1.59||1/32 (0.031)||0.79|
|Over 8 to 18, incl||3/32 (0.093)||2.38||1/32 (0.031)||0.79|
|Over 18 to 26, incl||1/8 (0.125)||3.18||1/32 (0.031)||0.79|
|Over 26 to 34, incl||5/32 (0.156)||3.97||1/32 (0.031)||0.79|
|Over 34 to 48, incl||3/16 (0.187)||4.76||1/32 (0.031)||0.79|
|Grade A (Explanatory Note 2)||Grade B||Grade C|
|Tensile strength, min,psi (MPa)
Yield strength, min, psi (MPa)
|48 000 (330)
30 000 (205)
|60 000 (415)
35 000 (240)
|70 000 (485)
40 000 (275)
|Elongation in 2 in. or 50 mm, min, %:
Basic minimum elongation transverse strip tests, and for all small
sizes tested in full section
|When standard round 2-in. or 50-mm gage length test specimen is used||28||20||22||12||20||12|
|For longitudinal strip tests||A,B||A,B||A,B|
|For transverse strip tests, a deduction for each 1/32 -in. (0.8-mm) decrease in wall thickness below 5/16 in. (7.9 mm) from the basic minimum elongation of the following percentage shall be made||1.25C||1.00C||1.00C|
|Notes: AThe minimum elogation in 2 in. (50.8 mm) shall be determined by the following equation:
e= 625 000A02 / U0.9
e = minimum elongation in 2 in. (50.8 mm) % rounded to the nearest 0.5%
A = cross-sectional area of the tension test specimen, in.2 , based on specified outside diameter or nominal specimen width and specified wall thickness rounded to the nearset 0.01 in.2 (if the area thus caluclated is greater than the value 0.75 in.2 shall be used), and
U = specified tensile strength, psi.
BSee table 4 for minimum elongation values for various size tension specimens and grades.
CTable 3 gives the computed minimum values:
A106 Steel Pipe Testing Requirements
- Hydrostatic Testing: In hydrostatic testing, A106 seamless steel pipe samples are subjected to test pressure at 60% of specified minimum yield strength, at ambient temperatures; pressure test is maintained for at least five seconds. Maximum test pressures shall not exceed 2,500 psi for NPS3 steel pipe, or 2,800 psi for all larger sizes.
- Mechanical Testing: A106 seamless pipe NPS 8 and larger are weighed in lots; larger sizes are weighed by length. Flattening tests are required on A106 pipe NPS 2-1/2 and larger; cold bend testing is required for A106 pipe NPS 2 and smaller.
Contact Totten Tubes for A106 Seamless Carbon Steel PipeTotten Tubes supplies a wide variety of A106 seamless pipe. Our inventory includes:
- Grade B and Grade C A106 pipe
- NPS 1/4” to 30” diameter
- Schedule 10 through Schedule 160, including STD, XH, XXH
- Schedule 20 through Schedule XXH
- Wall thicknesses over XXH—contact us to discuss your requirements